AEP River Operations wins 38 Jones F. Devlin Awards
|Pilot Neal Buras (second from left) (M/V Safety Team) and Captain Dustin Haydel (second from right) (M/V Safety Quest) accept the Devlin awards on behalf of AEP River Operations during a recent ceremony in New Orleans.|
AEP River Operations has been recognized with having 38 vessels that have operated for two full years or more without a crew member losing a full turn at watch because of an occupational injury.
The Devlin Award Certificates are awarded to all self-propelled merchant vessels that work accident-free for two or more years. Three levels of achievement are recognized: a basic two-year award; a three-year award; and a four-year ward. A special award is given annually to ships with five or more years of accident-free operation.
Since 1968, the Chamber of Shipping of America has sponsored two safety programs – the Jones F. Devlin and Safety Achievement Awards. The awards publicly recognize the skills and dedication of the men and women who are responsible for safe ship operations.
The awards were presented at the Annual Ship Safety Achievement Awards Luncheon in New Orleans May 29. Captain Dustin Haydel and Pilot Neal Buras of AEP River Operations accepted the 38 awards on behalf of the vessels mentioned below.
The outstanding achievements of these 38 vessels exemplifies devotion to duty and to the principles of maritime safety, which is worthy of the highest commendation.
Devlin Award Winners
- Capt. James Anderson, James E. Pinson — 10 years
- Dru Lirette — 9 years
- James Morehead, R.L. Carter, Jr. — 8 years
- Gale Rhodes — 7 years
- Capt. Bill Steward, Joanne, Safety Convent, Safety Quest — 6 years
- Buckeye State, Charlotte Roush, Chuck Zebula, Robert D. Byrd, Ron Callegan, Safety Legend, Safety Pride — 5 years
- Cody Boyd, Jeffrey G. Stover, Safety Challenger, Safety Crusader, Safety Priority — 4 years
- AEP Legacy, Chris Parsonage, Noble C. Parsonage, Safety First, Safety Team — 3 years
- AEP Future, Donna Rushing, Harold B. Dodd, Hoosier State, Jeffrey A. Raike, Keith Darling, Leonard Whittington, Mary Scheel, Matt Lagarde, Norman L. Snodgrass, Safety Goal — 2 years